Thanksgiving means many things, but for most families it almost means one thing…leftovers. The leftovers are often as anticipated as the meal itself, with some people preparing extras of the main meal just so they can enjoy them for days after. While reheating the traditional foods is delicious, but they can get tedious, and some people don’t want to eat these meals over and over.
Finding creative ways to use up Thanksgiving leftovers lets you maximize your resources, support your parent eating satisfying, nutritious foods, and simplify life for the days, and even weeks, after the holiday.
Let some of these ideas inspire you for delicious ways you can use up Thanksgiving leftovers:
- Add an egg to stove-cooked stuffing or use traditional baked stuffing on its own, and cook in a waffle iron. Serve with a fried egg and gravy.
- Scrape out the filling of a pumpkin pie and blend with milk, ice, protein powder, and fiber powder for a tasty breakfast.
- Turn mashed potatoes into potato pancakes and top with pan-fried turkey.
- Combine leftover green bean casserole with cooked pasta and tuna, top with fried onions, and bake for a simple and protein-packed supper.
- Line muffin tins with stuffing to create cups, fill with chopped turkey, gravy, and vegetables such as green bean casserole, top with mashed potatoes, and bake.
- Mix chopped turkey and vegetables into mashed potatoes, roll balls in panko breadcrumbs, and fry.
If you have a large amount of leftovers, consider investing in divided plates and create single-serve meals. Wrap tightly, mark with reheating instructions, and freeze so your parent can warm it up for a delicious and easy meal a few weeks in the future.
Having elder care as a part of your parent’s regular routine can be a fantastic way to help them eat a more nutritious diet on a regular basis. As their family caregiver, you know how important it is for your parent to get the nutrients they need on a regular basis.
An in-home elder care services provider can help them to do this by providing transportation to the grocery store, helping them stock their kitchen with healthy ingredients, research recipes, and manage meal and snack preparation. They can also encourage your elder to get into the kitchen with them to cook, which boosts mental and emotional health and provides a greater sense of independence. This is just one of many ways home care can encourage your parent to live their best life.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Elder Care Services in Norwood MA, or anywhere in Eastern Massachusetts, please call the caring staff at CARE Resolutions – (508) 906-5572.
Latest posts by Erica Tomasello, CEO (see all)
- 5 Ways to Help Stroke Victims Cook Again - April 17, 2019
- Thank You CARE Resolutions - April 16, 2019
- CARE RESOLUTIONS INC. Wins 2019 Best of Senior Living Award from Senior Advisor.com - April 15, 2019