Many elderly adults wear dentures. Whether they wear a full set or just an upper, these false teeth can make a tremendous difference in their quality of life, self-confidence, and ability to eat the food that they enjoy and that their body needs to stay healthy and thrive. In order to make sure that they are getting the most benefit from them, however, it is essential that they take care of these dentures properly.
Improper denture care can increase the risk of irritation in the mouth, infections, and other difficulties. As their family caregiver, it is important that you not only detect if your parent is not properly caring for their dentures, but also encourage them to take the steps to improve this routine so that they can protect their oral health and get the most benefit from their dentures as they age in place.
Some signs that your senior might not be caring for their dentures properly include:
- Bad breath
- Signs of food or staining on the dentures
- Signs of damage to the dentures such as scratching or breakage
- Complaints of pain in the mouth
- Indications that their dentures might be hurting, such as avoiding hard or difficult to chew foods
Use these tips to help your parent care for their dentures properly:
- Dentures should fit comfortably and not move around when worn. If your parent is dealing with discomfort, pain, or dentures that move, they should talk to their dental professional as this could indicate changes in the mouth or improperly fitted dentures.
- Ensure that your parent is using the proper products to keep their dentures in place and create the proper seal on the gums. They should not use tissues, toilet paper, or other items that are not specifically indicated for this purpose.
- Dentures should be removed and cleaned each night, then soaked in denture cleaner to keep them moist and prevent the growth of bacteria.
- Discourage your parents from using normal toothpaste on dentures. These products are too abrasive and can lead to scratches and damage to the dentures. Not only does this compromise the appearance of the dentures, but it can create tiny breakages in the surfaces of the teeth that can harbor bacteria and lead to infections, bad breath, and other problems.
If you have been looking for a way to enhance your aging parent’s quality of life and help them to manage needs in the way that is right for them, now may be the ideal time for you to hire caregiving services for them. A caregiver services provider can be with your parent on a fully customized schedule to ensure that your parent gets the level of care and support that they need and deserve whether that is a few hours a few days a week, or more than one care provider with your parent all day and then throughout the night as well.
This means that your senior will be able to have all of the care that they need to manage their challenges in the way that is right for them while encouraging them to live a lifestyle that is active, engaged, and as independent as possible as they age in place.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Caregiver Services in Westwood MA, or anywhere in Eastern Massachusetts, please call the caring staff at CARE Resolutions – (508) 906-5572.
Latest posts by Erica Tomasello, CEO (see all)
- OCTOBER 2018 NEWS - October 10, 2018
- Take a Closer Look at Hepatitis During Liver Cancer Awareness Month - October 9, 2018
- Five Tips to Make Caring for Your Senior Easier on Yourself - October 3, 2018